Tuesday, November 10, 2009

My Journey

I moved to this town 7 yrs back.On paper this had beenmy permanent address for over 35yrs ,in reality i was practically a stranger.I had no friends, could not relate to the provincial mindset of the people.Was deeply unhappy,and confused ! What was to be a new beginning was seeming the end of the road.
I knew i had to start working to retain my sanity.Had little experience of work, had worked for a few years with special children and done a few assignments of writing.I have a natural ability to handle children and immense patience, a skillset which made me successful with special children.I also wanted to surround myself with happiness and laughter to take away the bleakness i was feeling.This is what led me to establish 'Muskan ' my playschool.It will be prudent to add that i had never worked in a school or with small children, what saw me through was confidence, a certain vision and belief in myself.
My small school besides being a catharsis of sorts opened a whole world to me..that of the problems related to education, the myopic outlook of the existing institutions.I read obsessively, books on psychology,pedagogy,education systems..Started reaching out to parents and people around .I found them listening and i knew i could make a difference in some way.Thus started my journey of education in small towns ..
Ironically ,this small town that i resented gave me an identity, a purpose and much happiness.
I also learnt an important lesson ...It is not the place or circumstances which limit us ,we limit ourselves!

I was a patient of an unknown disease,
I was thunder after the storm had ceased,

I was a raindrop after the rain had gone

A long lost lonely song

I was a swing which knew not which way to sway

A traveller who had lost his way....

Now im an explorer , a pilgrim with a destination and at peace

No longer a patient...gone is the disease!

6 comments:

  1. a poetess is born. good thoughts shubhra. some more insight into the eye of the storm. a phenomenon called rain. and the mechanichs of a human mind swings. goes to show any one can make a diffrence any where if they know what they want to do. just need an open mind

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanx for sharing with me Shubs, i cud already sense the explorer in you from ur status lines. welcome to the world of the 'Jigyasu' ( one who wants to know, and thus questions!)
    its good to know ur destination, most of us are travellers without a destination.
    congrats for being able to rise from ur utter suffering and buiding a beautiful world around you. i wish you a happy journey!

    ReplyDelete
  3. words dont come easy when someone writes about their personal self and it sounds trivial to comment but if you can understand what i mean then i would like to say that im proud to have read this...
    btw like all greedy writers i hope u visit my blog too - http://lifeismybestfriend.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. what a beautiful post !!! as much as kiddies bring joy to others, these kids are so lucky to have you, too! Anyone who works with children and in the field of education is an inspiration.....!! these young minds are in great hands :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good that you have finally started writing...it will cater to your both urges: writing and child education. Also thanks a lot for sharing it :)
    By the way, have you read this: On Education, by Bertrand Russell? Its Bengali version (Shiksha Prasange) was the book on which mother brought us kids up. It's an excellent book on child psychology, children's education, and generally on how to bring up children.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm enjoying reading your blog. Keep writing!

    ReplyDelete