Tuesday, November 17, 2009

An Admission to Remember

This drama was enacted out when i was relatively new to the town and its people..
ACT I (the VIP visit)
One winter morning i noticed a sudden burst of activity outside my office.My otherwise hibernating staff, looking animated and very alert entered my office mumbling a name and admission.Close on their heels entered a short non descript man followed by a very tall gentleman in a crisp white kurta pajama with an imposing personality and a distinct air of authority.Behind him were two shabbily dressed non menacing security guards with very menacing weapons! I felt i was under seige.
I greeted my imp visitor as he settled down in the centre of a fairly large couch in my office.The sidekick stood and rambled on and informed me that Sir was well acquainted with my family and our work . He did not mention Sirs name as i was obviously supposed to know who he was! Time and again he would look at sir for approval .This interpretor of 'Sir's look' told me that they had come for a little girls admission,'Sirs' grand (said very grandly ) daughters admission.I told them that i had a vacancy and would take the child .Meanwhile i felt there were more people witnessing this meeting, i looked sideways and to my horror i saw my guard, driver, gardner, helper all glued to my window like flys.I obviously lack authority,as despite my looks they did not budge.
I offered shri VIP a tour of the school. He went around , without uttering a word. When i showed him my special care room with bunk beds to be used in time of emergencies his eyes lit up, and he spoke for the first time"Bahut Accha, sone ki bhi suvidha hai ".The sidekick and security guards were more forthcoming as they fiddled around with all the toys and puzzles and even sat on the alphabet mat!!!
Back in the office and back to business i was informed that an armed security man would be accompanying the child. I told them firmly that i have very small children and they get scared of the weapons so the armed guard will remain downstairs alongwith the CRPF Commandants guard who was also authorised security for his child.The sidekick looked visibly distressed but was silenced by Shri VIP's look. I was then asked to complete the admission formalities, told them that i need to meet with the parents and the child when the form is filled out.The sidekick looked mortified at 'Sir', Who magnanimously and rather bemusedly declared "Aa Jayenge" and walked out with a flourish as his entourage bowed in obescience.Even the leaves of my palmtree seemed to bend over. Not surprising, the plant had been in the pot and this town for over 20yrs so knew more than i did.
It took me a while to register all that had happened , called my driver and asked him the name of the visitor ..I was informed that he was THE Shri Yadav! My visitor was the notorious Ex MLA. He was heading the land mafia in my town ( an integral part of the political criminal nexus that plagues Bihar).Famous as the Extortion King and owner of 4 non recognized colleges!
My only fear at that time were the armed security representing the two sides of law hobnobbing downstairs for 3 hrs!!
End of ACT I..


3 comments:

  1. Please keep writing........u r amazing and I still have one of ur poems u wrote in the tough days........

    ReplyDelete
  2. amazing.... never realized the inner workings of a place such as Bihar!
    I agree with both posts above... your writings are beyond addictive...! :)

    ReplyDelete