Wednesday, November 18, 2009

An Admission to Remember 2

ACTII(Filling an admission form)

On the appointed day and time Shri Infamous Yadav's family trooped in.His son,walked in with a young and stunningly beautiful girl in her early 20's who was introduced to me as the mother of the child , another taciturn lady of around 40, who was his elder sister and Jadu (magic)their daughter.

I offered the son a chair next to mine to fill up the form .He informed me that his sister who is MA English would be doing the needful.Meanwhile the beautiful mother had settled on the furthest corner of the couch and merged with the furniture.The son sprawled himself rather improperly at the other end.
Below is what transpired during the filling of the form.
Name of Child..
Sister- kya likhna hai?
Father-Mansi
Mother(meekly)- Priyanshi
Sister-Theek hai -Mansi Priya likhte hain
The christening ceremony of Jadu thus took place in my office!
I noticed that the MA English sister had filled out the name in an illegible handwriting.( the form clearly stated BLOCK LETTERS!) I decided to fill it myself.
Fathers name and qualification....
Sister-Kya likhen?Dr X Singh ya Yadav?
I was very perplexed at the Dr bit. I had presumed the gentleman to be semi literate since he couldnt fill out a simple form! The form finally stated Dr X Singh.Ph.D!!!
Mothers qualification...
Sister-Unlimited
I jumped up, had never heard of anyone thus qualified! On further probing i was told she was still studying.Told them her present qualifications would do.They settled for Inter(+2).I was very sure the girl was almost illiterate and equally sure that in a few years time she too would be a Ph.D!!!!
Postal Address for purpose of correspondence.
A deeply offended sister informed me that everyone knew their house! Had to patiently explain that i would still need the address..
Ph no..
A lot of whispering ensued and then a landline no was reluctantly disclosed.I asked them for a cell no as its more convenient in times of emergency incase there is no at one at home.I was told that their house is never without people and if no one answers i should keep trying ,someone will pick up eventually(?????)
Then we came to the section which requires some more information regarding the child.

Name of Doctor..
Father- Hamare bahut acche mitr!(Our very dear friend)
Any known allergies--
Very lost looks..
Me- jaise saans ki bimari ( Couldnt find the right hindi word for asthma)
Mother-Iski baat nahin maante to yeh saans rok leti hai!(She stops her breath if she dosent get her way!)
Very dirty looks from father for disclosing such information!
Details of Sibling..
Sister-One male child named Aloo(potato!!)
Is the child fully toilet trained?
Mother-Toilet mein sirf pani se khelne jaati hai!(goes to the toilet only to play with water!)
What is the routine of your child from 9am to 12pm
Father,sister mother(in unison)-She sleeps!
I now understood why the grandfather was so delighted to see the beds.I told the family that they have to change her routine.I was informed that Jadu woke up at 4am went for a walk with her grandfather and then prayed with the grandmother for an hour!!!!Jadu was all of 2yrs and 7mths old!
Specify any strong dislikes of your child with regard to food and beverages?
Sister -promptly-everything her mother makes!
My heart went out to the mother who had now become a very ornate part of my very simple couch..
THE END...( TWO YRS BACK I WAS AT MY WITS END!)

I have often entertained many friends with this story.Many have asked me to get it published.I decided otherwise ...I would rather LIVE to tell the tale!!!!!!

3 comments:

  1. Well,Shubhs, we never stop learning how things work....Having taken over this small school in gurgaon, let me tell u this situation, though entertaining is not unique to Bihar....this happens even here...One local dada fron a nearby village recently came for admission of his 3 year old and demanded that his son should speak chaste English in a month's time which is why he wanted him to go to a world school as at home the child speaks/hears only haryanvi(!).Dadagiri ka koi ant hai kya????

    ReplyDelete
  2. shubhra you shd use your talents in writing stories for children. am sure you will be doing them a great service. enjoyed it thoroughly, looking fwd to the next one.

    ReplyDelete