Tuesday, August 24, 2010

My Friend 'The Alchemist'....A Tribute

It was not with shock but a sense of closure that i received the news of my friend passing away.Magnanimous as he was, he had given all of us, who cared for him , time to prepare ourselves for his final departure.As always , he remained isolated in his suffering, which he faced with great fortitude and dignity. But nothing had prepared me for the shadow which cast over my within, on getting the news.I remember, once on having argued vehemently against his statement that 'grief is unneccessary on Death',he had smiled at me indulgently and told me that i was blessed with a rare sensitivity and generosity of spirit,and someday i would figure it out(he had this habit of making radical statements and then inspiring you to apply yourself ,think and figure it out !)..I know now, what he meant was, that we are so preoccupied with our personal loss that we take away the worthiness that belonged to the person when he/she were alive .Even in Death( which is inevitable) we have to rejoice Life!!
I called him the 'Alchemist' for the chemistry graduate he was, (IIT Delhi,Princeton) and for the spiritual companion and guide that he had become..I last spoke to him a few months back.Anguished by his feeble voice and pain i had cried out WHY???Gently, he had said,"Think of it this way , how many people in their lifetime get an opportunity to experience the love and caring of all those associated with them..I have the good fortune of getting a glimpse of the legacy i am leaving behind".That was Ravi,at 50 he had the wisdom of the hills.
To my music loving 'rocker' friend i say.....
Ledzep(his net pseudonym) , you have found your 'Stairway to Heaven'...Enjoy the gig buddy!
To the cricket lover i say...
Your inning was short, not for lack of skill or will to play on, but because the umpire made a very hasty decision!
To the film critic , a student of film and media(Mass Comm, Jamia Milia) , i add..
Your vision was acutely perceptive, your script eclectic your execution , unique and non conformist!
To the one who loved books i say...
Your biography was not voluminous but meaningful and rich in its brevity and content!
To the chemistry teacher who loved his subject and students , i say..
You have influenced and inspired so many young minds, put them on the path to find their own 'Pot of Gold'.You were truly the 'Alchemist'!
To the Thinker, and Spiritualist i say...
Go explore the 'Alternate Universe', at leisure my friend..Its gain is our loss!!
To the devoted father i say...
You taught them well,you will live on in them and from where ever you are, always watching over them!
For my friend ,i quote a few lines i had written a few years back which he liked..
'Like my young wards , i am spellbound when a beautiful flower suddenly appears my way.
I am delighted by the colors that abound and the fragrance which fills my senses.
When the flower starts to wilt, i dont cast it away , but preserve it gently in my book of thoughts.If perchance ,i come upon that page, i take a while and once again savor all the moments when the flower was in its full bloom, and.... Move On....'
PS..YOU WILL BE MISSED...

17 comments:

  1. really lovely post.......so extremely touching and beautiful!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shubhra that is so insightful and eloquently written. I'm really sorry on your loss...

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is an unfortunate characteristic of the human condition that we become attached to the corporeal while forgetting the essence that makes that body an individual. For if we were able to capture the essence of an individual, we would have no reason to grieve- they would be with us; inextricably interlinked, immortalized, in our own fabric of space and time.

    In that sense, you have distilled the essence of the Alchemist- and a wonderful essence it is- keep it, cherish it, and pass it on..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful Shubhra!- am sure HE must be enjoying ur tribute.
    Its sad that we wait for a person to Go Away to truly appreciate Him.
    why shd we consider it a LOSS- its Lucky for you to have had such a person in your life- who continues to inspire even after he's gone(physically). let us not blame anyone- not even the umpire!
    agree with Arjun hundred perecent- Shubhra You have captured( positively) the spirit-it will be with You always and i thank you for sharing with US.
    I love ur style of writing and wait for ur posts regularly. Shubhra Fan club? count me in!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The person must have been truly wonderful to have inspired you to pen these beautiful lines...We need lot many like him in our lives....God should not be so cruel....I only wish that he is happy and rested wherever he is...God Bless His Soul.!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I knew him only as Ledzep and indeed he was as rocking as the band he had named himself after. He must certainly have found his stairway to heaven.

    Of all the comments on this post, I found Arjun's the most mature and am impressed that he has captured the very essence of life for it is only our thoughts that matter and keep us going.

    Ravi should not be missed for he is here with all of us....

    ReplyDelete
  7. What to write, shubhs, simply shocking! I knew him a little bit, he sometimes commented on my blogs...

    And must say, what a tribute!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Shubra...

    You don't know me.. nor I you. But I knew Ledzep as an online friend. I wish I could tell you how shocked I am to hear of his passing away.

    My heart is too full to be able to say much. He used to scold me sometimes... specially when I would write something not quiet clear. His clarity of thought was amazing... his sympathy unfathomable. He touched lives... just by being himself.

    May God keep him in his care and give solace to his soul.

    Thank you for writing this.. it has given me a way to express my grief.

    Dagny

    ReplyDelete
  9. Written from the heart shubs and even though i never met Ravi it seems as if i know him now through your words. Ravi surely is happy in the other world because he has left so many who think of him with love ..

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. @Suri.I dont want any ill will here.. Please dont take away the sanctity of this post.

    ReplyDelete
  12. i was his student...I loved him! I still miss my magician:-(

    ReplyDelete
  13. Extremely personnel and great write up on friend who is no more. a g8 tribute. u writ well i must say !!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Well written.
    I was one of the lucky ones to attend his last class on the 28th of july. His way of teaching made jee preperation so easy. His last classes were more motivational than academic. I still remember his last class which he took laying on his bed. It was only because of him i managed to clear jee though not with a great rank which would have been guaranteed with his presence. Thank you sir...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautifully penned...

    He was all that and so much more...so much, that words aren't enough..

    I had the tremendous fortune of being his student back in 2000..

    RIP, My Mentor, My Guide, My Inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Really great tribute. I think you done great work. Thank you for sharing.


    MBA Entrance Exams

    ReplyDelete