Thursday, January 14, 2010

A hysterical hysterectomy

It is no state secret that i have always longed for a daughter. I am not a hardcore feminist and love both my sons dearly but i do believe that a certain female sensibility is essential in every home. This fact was driven home in abundance as i went through my hysterectomy recently.
As soon as my sons were apprised of the condition i got very concerned calls from both of them.The younger one assured me that he would love me even if i grew a beard and my voice cracked!Without doubt the most male chauvinistic member of the family he naturally assumed that the male hormones would take over!!As also the procrastinator of the family he failed to get an appointment at the american embassy for his visa and then sent out an emotionally charged letter for an emergency appointment citing his mothers impending surgery and himself as the sole caretaker.He killed two birds with one stone...got his appointment as also obliterated the existence of his elder brother.(something he has been trying to do eversince he was born!)
My elder son reached a couple of days in advance to take me for a pre-op check up and tests.The wise and knowledgeble one of the family he looked visibly distressed at the mention of a chest xray.He told me he was sorry that i have to go through a mammogram (!!??!!)
The day of the surgery dawned and my entire family in a rare gesture of solidarity and punctuality drove me to the hospital.They deposited me in the room and went on to make inquiries as to where thay could have the best 5 course breakfast in town!!!I had to remind them not to go very far.When they returned i was on a drip and a nebulizer as i had a mild cough.The younger one stood perplexed at the edge of my bed as i was sitting up with my mask and asked me why i was not passing out with the anaesthesia being administered!!Banging my head against a wall seemed a better option for passing out..
Post surgery , my aunt , a gynaec who was present in the OT went up to the room to inform them that all had gone well and if they would like to see the uterus.My sons told nani to look at them, the finest specimens to be lodged in that womb and they were celebrating as there was no threat of another heir !!!
Back home, i received some very sporadic attention and affection from both of them.On one such occasion ,with both of them cuddled on either side of me told me that my insides are in mourning for their birth(pun intended) companions had been extracted.Since i have had my gall bladder also removed , my elder one quipped that it was truly recession time for my organs and that my appendix must be really insecure.
Few days later , the night before my sons appointment i told him to carry the discharge summary incase they check since his appointment had been expedited due to an emergency.He told me he was going to take along the real proof preserved in a jar to show ..
I was beyond reacting by now but i did go to sleep every night dreaming of a daughter holding my hand and telling me that "all is well"...

7 comments:

  1. Shubh, I must remind you to be thankful for what you have than long for a daughter. "Al iz well" is for idiots who don't realise "All is always well".

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are truly blessed to have such caring sons...
    glad to know that you are recovering well and back to writing..
    daughters or sons, it does not matter..take my example..being the only girl in the entire "khandan" decided to be an NRI and totally useless to the family in time of need..

    ReplyDelete
  3. aww - i completely understand the need for daughters in times such as these... they have a magic touch that somehow not even the best of sons can match;)
    thankfully, all is well!! lots of love

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Bua. Nice Blog! :)
    Where are you these days?

    Love - Nishant

    ReplyDelete
  5. hehe good stuff mom, although I noticed that you conveniently omitted the little incident about you eating a hunk of cheese on New years night in contravention of doctors orders and your ELDER son keeping awake all night trying to administer faith healing techniques (since the proper laperscopic instruments and more importantly, the instruction manual, weren't at his disposal), while nursing his own delhi belly. Imagine if things had gotten really bad- would you want a 5ft 45kg delicate rose trying to dead lift you? No chauvinism intended here but I suspect it would have lead to multiple organ failure for one, if not both parties. Hence, moral of the story is that, in the end when push comes to shove, brute force trumps sensitivity (especially the feigned variety). Love always

    ReplyDelete
  6. Can so imagine Mishu and Nakul say and do all that! Hilarious and yet sooo touching! Keep writing Aunty...Love it!

    ReplyDelete